I cannot believe Ezekiel will be 8 months old in a mere 3 days. Time is flying. Life with Ezekiel has been nothing short of challenging. There is so much I could share but I ask that you trust me in saying - God is building me using my youngest son. Ezekiel means "the strength of God." Let me tell you, this child was named right. He, on his own, drags me down more than the twins, combine, ever did. He is SUCH a mommas boy. And I am so torn between loving it and soaking it up and reminding myself he won't be little forever and of course feeling overwhelmed, panicking and unable to breathe wanting to scream "GIVE ME A FREAKIN' BREAK!" I wanted to breastfeed SOOO badly since I didn't get to really experience it with the twins. God said "I got you, but be careful what you wish for." Ezekiel was tongue and lip tied. My AMAZING midwife figured it out around his 1 month check up. Our pedi gave us a referral to a pediatric surgeon who "fixed" his tongue tie only in his office on the spot. He told me ties don't affect breastfeeding and his lip wasn't bad enough to need to be clipped. Lord I wish I knew then what I know now. SERIOUSLY - he must know NOTHING about the mechanics of breastfeeding. AND he didn't actually fix it - our AMAZING lactation consultant figured that out for us. She sent us to a plastic surgeon in Hollywood. And while it was TRAUMATIZING to see the blood from back to back corrections and POOR ERIK who had to hold Ezekiel down, I believe it saved our breastfeeding relationship. Fast forward to now, he is still exclusively breastfed (minus the LITTLE bit of solids he's starting to experiment with). His stubborn booty doesn't take a pacifier OR a bottle. I've left him before with a babysitter, 12 hours, and he did not eat the ENTIRE TIME I WAS GONE! Good grief kid! However, at 8 months he's just over 21 pounds, so he's CLEARLY not lacking! He has cried more than he has laughed in 8 months. He refuses to be left in the nursery at church or childcare at MOPS. He LOVES his daddy and hanging out at his computer, but still prefers me if he can see or hear me. He's been sick more than he's been healthy (thanks to preschool germs from the twins) but he's handled them all like champs and only had one fever ever (breast milk is amazing). He's on his second ear infection right now, which is good compared to how many the twins had. He's crawling all over the place and trying CRAZY HARD to pull himself up. He's absolutely in love with his big brothers and luckily the feeling is mutual. He's FINALLY on a semi predictable schedule. People have told me he has/had colic. Sorry to tell you but I do not believe there is such thing as colic….. I read this AMAZING book and I totally agree with it http://www.amazon.com/Colic-Solved-Essential-Infant-Difficult-/dp/0345490681/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460811562&sr=8-1&keywords=colic+solved Ezekiel had reflux and I just weaned him from his meds and I'm not 100% sure he's going to be able to stay off of them. We're going to watch him for a bit and make an educated decision. Unfortunately we've had a bad experience with his current pediatrician so he'll be changing doctors and "starting over" in May. Overall, we wouldn't change a thing. Yes he overwhelms me and yes he makes me wish even more that my momma were closer. But we adore him! He is a perfect part of our family. And I know in a year when he is more mobile and talkative, his relationship with the twins is going to evolve even more. They love to play ninja turtles and gears and legos with him and 95% of the time he doesn't want the "baby" toy box unless they're with him.
The twins have adjusted beautifully. There have been nights they've slept in our room or on the couch (when they're sick or he is miserable) ---- they all share a room! We aren't great at co sleeping or room sharing with our babies. We like our own space and with Ezekiel it proved that he woke up MORE because he was in such close proximity to me. The twins have been great about making their room the boys room. They're super loving being role models in the SPED LEAP program at Palmetto Elementary and have been asked to return next year for BOTH programs (8:20am to 1:50pm) with the same teachers in lieu of PREK. We've accepted and they're excited.
This summer, my sister Samantha is getting married. Most likely we're going to spend 75% of June in Tulsa, OK and 50% of July in Summerfield, FL (just south of Ocala) with my in laws. I'm also hoping to get them swim lessons this summer and maybe a few other activities…. obviously that's research I have to deal with. HAHA! Elijah also has an umbilical hernia so we're meeting with the surgeon in May to determine if he'll be needing to surgically correct it.
In other news, we recently found out Elijah is allergic (phase 1 of 5) to major foods like wheat and egg whites and peanuts. We've totally been changing our diet, transforming our cupboard and making our menu allergen free. What a task this has been but in two weeks I've seen GIANT changes in his health AND in both of their appetites. They're eating things I never thought I'd see them eat and ASKING for healthy snacks. I don't believe this will ever be life threatening for him but I do believe God is using it as a tool to help us make some health changes! Please pray for us on this journey!
I'll leave you with a photo of my cuties playing in a big box… doing what boys do best and imaging it is their rocket ship!

No comments:
Post a Comment