I love talking about MOPS. It's so funny when someone who has no idea what it is hears about it in conversation. They're so confused because your normal thought of a MOP is a housekeeping item. But the MOPS I speak of stands for Mothers of Preschoolers. (You can learn more about mops at mops.org and find a group near you)
MOPS Celebrates Motherhood. MOPS meets you RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE AT in the season of life you're at. Whether you're expecting your first or fourth. If you've got a new baby and you're trying to balance feeding on demand, attempting to sleep and post partum hormones or if you've officially got preschoolers and that first day of school is creeping up on you. MOPS gives you a safe space to encourage you as a mom, woman and wife. MOPS builds lifetime friendships. MOPS loves your children too!
The home page of MOPS.ORG says it the BEST!
Here at MOPS, we are on a mission to celebrate motherhood.
We build circles of women who love each other like family, because raising humans is beautiful and hard, and having each other to lean on is life-giving. That’s why we connect moms all over the world to a community of women, in their own cities, who meet together to laugh, cry and embrace the journey of being a mom.
This is motherhood, and together we can change the world in all the best ways.
I stepped into my first MOPS meeting in the fall of 2012 just before the twins first birthday. A sweet Facebook friend, Meagan Goepferich encouraged me to attend (while I have you're attention, she has her own blog you can follow: http://morethanahomeschoolmom.com) I was terrified to step into that room... to go to a church I'd never been to, to meet new people, to do this ALONE with the twins. I desperately wanted someone to hold my hand. God knew.... Lisa Grehn reached out to me and virtually held my hand. She messaged me on Facebook, introduced herself to me, gave me her cell number in case I got lost or needed help getting the boys out of the car. She met me that day in the parking lot and walked me to the nursery ensuring that the twins would be well loved while I got such a short break. Leigh Byers met me at the nursery and sensed my anxiety in leaving the boys. She ensured me that they'd be okay, and I knew they would... they had each other and that was truly all they cared about. She sent me a sweet picture of them having snacks together. It was the first time I got to have breakfast and hold a conversation without someone needing something in months. I was sold. I became a member of MOPS of Miami and never looked back.
I'm on my 5th season with MOPS of Miami and it's been a huge joy. I've enjoyed two different seasons of leadership and look forward to continuing that next season. I'm currently in charge of the child care program and while it isn't always an easy job, it brings my heart so much joy and I truly love all the babies so much.
MOPS of Miami hosts meetings twice a month on Thursday mornings during the school year only. There is childcare provided for children 6 months through preschool. Our meetings always have breakfast and HOT coffee (say what?!?) And each meeting the leadership team plans different events, activities and discussions. MOPS.org provides curriculum and our Discussion Group Team Leader and Coordinator carefully plan which videos we will use each season and how they'll be used. They're wonderful! A few seasons ago we had one about raising boys that was huge for me. This year, the most impactful for me so far, has been on anger. We watch these videos and break out in our small groups to have more intimate and meaningful discussions. We have a fabulous creative activity team who plans awesome crafts for us a few times a year. We also serve our community. We're involved in Operation Christmas Child every year. We've collected for Free the Girls, we've helped stock the pantry at the Florida Baptist Children's Homes and we've blessed expecting moms at Eve's Hope Pregnancy Crisis Center (to name a few). We have awesome speakers a few times a year as well. And today was our annual Tea & Testimony, where, like every year, my heart was moved.
Two beautiful woman who I am honored to call my friends, shared their testimonies this morning. They opened their hearts to us and truly gave us new or restored hope in how big and amazing God is and how He will use each and every part of our stories. Today is the kind of meeting that leaves you in this high and I just wanted to take advantage of it and encourage you.
Recently I watched 13 Reasons Why on Netflix.... like so many have. I'm not going to go into the BOOK I could write about that. (Warning if you haven't watched it! Triggers are Rape, Suicide, Assault, Gun Violence and there is a LOT of foul language). I will however say that it is a reminder and eye opener on two big things.... 1) We don't know what's going on in someone else's lives no matter what they TELL you or how they act. 2) The old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is a bunch of bull. WORDS HURT! Think before you speak. Point number 1 and point number 2 are tied hand in hand. If you have no idea what's going on in someone's life and mind and you cut them down with your words - you could make a tough situation that much worse.
I'd like to encourage you today to lift each other up. Love each other. Go out of your way for others. Be generous, loving and kind. Proverbs 15:4 tells us "A soothing tongue is a tree of life, But perversion in it crushes the spirit." (NASB) So do you want to be a tree of life or do you want to crush spirits? What kind of life do you want to live?
MOPS is a tree of life for me. I get continuously lifted up at MOPS. I've gone into MOPS with potty trained twins before 2 feeling like a supermom. I've gone into MOPS with a baby who doesn't sleep, won't stop crying unless he's nursing and for that matter, won't stop nursing and I'm exhausted, defeated and not even sure if I showered. I've gone into MOPS as a childcare leader, loving on volunteers and children alike. I've gone into MOPS frustrated with my now Preschool twins and not quite sure how to meet them where there at. But I've been met where I'm at and excepted RIGHT WHERE I'M AT - in every season of my life. God gave me a safe space in MOPS. God allowed me to build life long friendships. Not just for me, but for my husband and my boys! Two of my dear MOPS friends Jenna & Nicole have graciously shared their families with mine. And my boys love both Nicole's boys (Marco & Jonas) and Jenna's boys (Bo & Titus) and Erik loves chatting with Mau and is enjoying getting to know Rob - he asked me to get a date set up with them for dinner soon! I love knowing that my family is building friendships with like minded families, who love the Lord and are willing to meet us in this season of our lives... crazy boys, messy house, sleep deprived but full of love and laughter.
There are not enough words to express what MOPS has meant to me. I'd be crazy if I didn't give some credit to that same dear friend, Nicole Avesani. Six years ago she started MOPS of Miami from the ground up. Since then MOPS of Homestead, MOPS of Cutler Bay, MOPS of Palmetto Bay and MOPS of Miami Springs have formed. I am so proud of all she's done. I'm so grateful for how she's helped me grow. I'm so grateful for MOPS, for her answer to God's call.... for her friendship. MOPS is my lifeline... as a mother, woman, wife and friend. I encourage you, if you are a mom with preschool (or younger) aged children to seek a group in your area. If you're in Miami, I'd love you to visit with us (or will gladly introduce you to the leaders of the other mentioned groups).
Today, after my tea and testimony "high" I'm grateful to God for letting me serve in this ministry with some of the most amazing women who I can proudly call my friends. Thank you Lord for blessing my life with MOPS!
(This beautiful group of woman is my small group this year... 2016-2017...
Left to Right: Susie, Sarah, Me, Kristy, Kristie, Philippa, Erin & Sasha)

This is Beautiful Stefanie!
ReplyDeleteI really miss you and miss MOPS!!
Love you so much
Lisa
Beautiful to hear how the Lord has met your needs as a young mother and wife with this incredible support group. Thanks for sharing and hope that my daughter who is a new mommy will be able to take advantage of this group in the near future. Blessings, Jolene Attard
ReplyDelete